Steam Summer Sale is here! Games highlighted by genres - Part 1
No matter what type of game you like, there's bound to be something for you on sale! This article highlights five games from each official Steam genre that are near their lowest price ever or at it. There are a ton of great games on sale so don't take this as a definitive list.
5 Action games you should really give a chanceGunlock
– This looks to be heavily focused on score attack which is quite common in arcade-like games. For the low price of $1.13 (This has technically been $1.15 before, but I figured the price difference was negligible), this seems like an awesome game to pick up! If you're into games you can play in short bursts then this might be for you.Switch ‘N’ Shoot
– The one button to turn your ship and fire your gun gimmick seems pretty cool for a shmup. With colors that pop out at you, it looks to be a visual treat as you shoot down your foes! During the Summer Sale, you can pick it up for $2 (It has been $1.79 before on Steam, but if this is your kind of game it shouldn't make much of a difference). I've had my eye on this one for a while so if you like shmups then this would be a great option that is easy on the wallet.Tragedy of Prince Rupert
– I was trying not to include two of the same types of games, but I'm breaking my rule to cover this shmup. The art style is inspired by ‘Karel Zeman’s The Fabulous World of Jules Verne’, a Czechoslovak film from 1958. You control a hot air balloon that can dive down into the sea and can even reach space. For a measly $0.99 how can you turn down that kind of adventure?!Blitz Breaker
– If you're looking for a thrilling, fast-paced platformer that has hints of Super Meat Boy then this is an excellent option for you. What makes this game so unique compared to other hardcore platformers is that you can't run. You move by jumping and using an air dash that goes in four different directions. With it only being $0.49 during the sale, if you even have a slight need for a game like this in your life, this is a fantastic cheap title to ease your cravings.Zombie Desperation
– Did you enjoy playing the House of the Dead series? This might be what you're looking for then! While this seems to lack a story the core gameplay appears to be a lot of fun. With a leaderboard and achievements, it's sure to offer plenty of reasons to keep coming back. The best part that I have yet to mention is that it can be yours for the low entry price of $0.49.
5 Adventure games you should really give a chanceMEANDERS
– This game looks visually stunning and an excellent option to chill out for a couple of hours. While I'm cheating by including this in the adventure category, it could be argued that this has adventure qualities to it. For just $0.89 you will be getting a first-person platformer/puzzle game that looks like a blast to play.Wolf & Rabbit
– In this horror-themed adventure game you'll find yourself playing as an injured wolf boy who encounters a rabbit girl that offers treatment at her grandma’s house. Although inspired by Little Red Riding Hood, this game looks to be a good option for anyone that enjoys horror games. You can hide underneath the covers for the low price of $1.33, so at least your funds will not be terrifyingly low.Lily’s Day Off
– While it may appear like your standard visual novel, it's set up more like a collection of short stories and features sixteen different endings! At $0.98 you're getting quite a good deal if visual novels are your thing. There are no explicit scenes, but there is some violence and scary scenes so that may or may not help you decide whether it is what you are looking for.BRKÖUT
– It may appear to be your standard breakout style of game at first but what you will soon find out is that there's a story intertwined into the gameplay. There are new mechanics such as your paddles breaking apart with each hit so you can expect some nice twists on the standard set up. You can pick it up right now for only $0.50 on the Summer Sale.All You Can Eat
– A new take on the point-and-click genre, this plays like an interactive comic. Every interaction causes a new comic panel which furthers the story. While this is a pretty short game, the $0.49 price more than makes up for it. Definitely check this one out if you are looking for a laugh.
Bonus game: The Basement Collection
– With how well known Edmund McMillen is I didn't think it was fair to count this towards the five adventure games, but I had to include it. This is a collection of nine indie games from Edmund McMillen, and all of them have been revamped to include bonus chapters, new music, and more. You can pick this up for only $0.51 during the Summer Sale.
5 Casual games you should really give a chanceRoyal Battleships
– If you're nostalgic for the days of playing Battleship then this might be the game for you! It has plenty of achievements, so you have a reason to keep coming back to it in the future. Fair warning though, it doesn't seem to have online play as it advertises so keep that in mind before you buy. It can be yours for $0.50 during the Summer Sale.Merlin vs. Zombies
– This looks to be in the Angry Birds vein of gameplay so if you're into those games, then this might be perfect for you. It includes achievements too on top of the 90 levels you can play through. It's currently $0.50 so pick it up if this is up your alley.Slab
– It looks to be your standard breakout style game, but that is always welcome if you're a fan of this type of game. At only $0.74 you can experience more breakout goodness!SiNKR
– While this is indeed not the first simplistic yet addictive puzzle game to appear on Steam, it looks to be one of the better ones. You can pick it up for yourself for $0.79 during the Summer Sale.Overchunked
– From the same creators as MEANDERS that I covered earlier in this article, Overchunked looks to be an addictive time killer that has you controlling a spinning saw as it cuts through objects. For just $0.79 this looks like a ton of fun and worth checking out.
5 Indie games you should really give a chanceAlien Splatter Redux
– This is a cool looking retro game that would not be out of place on the NES. It features 8-bit graphics, a chiptune soundtrack, and eight levels with huge end-level bosses. On top of that, there are also achievements to keep you occupied. You can pick it up for $0.49 currently during the Summer Sale.Cemetery Warrior 2
– One look at this game and it'll remind you of older shooters and all of the nostalgia that comes with it. For just $0.49 you can relive the old days of FPS goodness.Princess Remedy: In A Heap of Trouble
– I absolutely love this series and am featuring it in this article because it deserves to be played by as many people as possible. If you enjoy innovative games, then this is definitely worth a look! It being $0.50 does not hurt the argument either.Indecision.
– A short but interesting looking game that is described on its page as a ‘haiku platformer.’ I think the price of admission is well worth finding out what that means exactly! For only $0.98 you can pick it up for yourself during the Summer Sale. I had seen this game from a Reddit post the dev made and have been looking for a good excuse to talk about it in an article so here it is!Morning Never Comes
– This is an arcade-style twin-stick shooter designed to play in short bursts. The theme surrounding the game is fascinating and brings a new element to this type of game. You can try it out yourself for the low price of $0.99.
3 Massive Multiplayer games you should really give a chanceMaelstrom
– This looks to be a crazy fun and fast-paced pirate ship battler that you can play with and against other players. If this sounds like your sort of game, then you can pick it up for $14.99 during the Summer Sale.Black Desert Online
– If you're more into the actual role-playing elements of MMOs then this might be a good option for you. You can do plenty of things in it such as fishing, trading, crafting, cooking, etc. so if that sounds like something you could get into, pick it up for $4.99 during the Summer Sale.Albion Online
– This looks like it would be a ton of fun for anyone who enjoys farming and grinding. It also features no classes as you switch between playstyles as you would switch between gear. You can pick it up for $19.76 right now during the Summer Sale.
Thank you for reading part one! Continue on to read Part 2 of our Steam Summer Sale finds
. Happy gaming!